Monday, November 5, 2007

Goodbye, Diapers!

OK, Elias will still be in a diapers for a while, but the headline news for today is that he pooped in the potty for the first time!

We've been taking it slow with potty training, since we figure that its way easier to wait until he's ready to potty train than it would be to try to impose it on him. We're very big on 'easy'. He first peed in the potty a long time ago, but it was really an accident of timing. For the past couple of weeks, though, we've been sitting him on the potty and he's able to pee on command. He likes to squeeze out a few drops, then try to empty the basin into the toilet, then squeeze out a few more drops, etc. etc., but we're working on having him save up his urine for periodic prolonged pee sessions.

This morning I went into his room when he first woke up, and he said to me, "I need a new diaper. I have poop in mine." I checked his diaper, and there was no poop, so I asked him if he wanted to use the potty. He ran into the bathroom and sat down, saying he had to "make pee pee", but nothing came out. I gave him a few more moments, and he stood up a little and produced aforementioned poop.

He still won't tell us when he has to use the potty, and as I said, it doesn't seem like he tries to hold it until he gets there, so we have a long ways to go. But this was an encouraging first step.

Yay, Elias! (Or should that be 'Go Elias!'?)

4 comments:

Bill said...

Elias is a genius! I think his dad was like six or seven before he could do that.

Amy, Bill, Guillermo and Alma said...

Congrats to Elias..Way to 'GO'!

Wendy said...

I'd watch it if I were you, Bill. I'm sure John would love to share some embarrassing stories about you before you gained full control over your bowels.

I like it, Amy. That should have been the title of this blog post!

Bill said...

"Gained" might still be a little premature...