Thursday, January 3, 2008

Half-y Birthday, Graham!

Well, I blinked and all the sudden Graham is celebrating his 6 month birthday. I can't believe its come so fast!

Other than the part when he fell out of bed this morning (oops), he's had a pretty good day. He even got to try his first solid food - oatmeal mixed with breastmilk - at lunchtime today. Not much made it down his throat, but a good time was still had by all.

Looking a little wary as he takes his first bite:
DSC_0240

Post-meal - note all the oatmeal he spit out on his bib:
DSC_0243

Other Graham news. He can roll both ways (front to back and vice versa) when he wants to, but is pretty content to just stay on his back or his belly, unless I look away or leave them room, at which time he executes a quick flip. Maybe he's just bashful. He also enjoys sitting, and after we help him into a sitting position, he can stay up for minutes at a time playing with toys or just watching the goings-on around him,

We're on teeth watch here, since Graham has been chewing on everything lately, including hands (his own or anybody else's he's lucky enough to find), hair (usually mine), and toys (his favorite is a Bunnies by the Bay duckling - thank you Kukuks). The past few days he's been drooling like a madman and napping poorly, so I expect an incisor might pop through at any moment.

After experiencing a major sleep regression at 4 months (waking up every 30-45 minutes all evening, then every two hours through the night), he's back to his normal self. The sleep thing would've killed me, but I remembered all too well how Elias had done the same thing at the same age. Elias easily resisted my feeble attempts to improve his sleep and eventually got better on his own, so with Graham I figured I would skip all the stupid strategies to try to get him to sleep and make it easier on him and me by just giving him what he wanted. So the last couple of months, I've spent many evenings laying in bed nursing him, watching TV or playing Tetris on my DS. I can think of much worse things I could be doing with my time, like sitting in a dark room holding a screaming baby and trying to convince him that, no, he really isn't that hungry. So it all worked out.

1 comment:

John said...

He's soooooo cuuuuuuute!